Revolutionary War Beacon Site #13 is located in the Powdermill section of Parsippany–Troy Hills, on the top of Pidgeon Hill a part of the Watnong Mountain range. The Beacon Site is across the street from Mountain Way Park. There is no Beacon there today, but the area where it existed can be accessed by marked trails. The longest trail is approximately 1.1 mile long. One of the trails will allow you to climb about 300 stairs, which were built during the revolutionary War.
During the Revolutionary war (March of 1779) General George Washington ordered Lord Stirling to construct signal beacons on conspicuous hills and mountains from West Point to Virginia The signal beacons designed by Lord Stirling were used to call out the militia and spread the alarm in the event of enemy movement.
Signal Beacons were constructed of logs in the shape of a pyramid. The base of the pyramid was to be 12 to 14 feet square and about 18 to 20 feet high. In the center of the pyramid was a stout sapling that extended 10 to 12 feet above the top of the pyramid. The void of the pyramid was to be filled with dry split wood and brush.
Signal beacons built on hills required an access that would allow the beacon to be reached in a hurry. In several cases crude stairs were built from local materials often stone.
Township of Parsippany Troy-Hills